Mountain Biking

Specialized Enduro 29er – first look

This topic contains 21 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Tom 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Tom
    Participant

Vu
    Participant

Wow, I’m impressed. I’m not a big fan of Specialized, but I gotta say they did a good job with this Enduro 29er. Β Pulling off a 17″ chainstay for a 29er is not an easy task, let alone a 155mm rear end travel. Spec’ed with a CCDB-Air got my attention πŸ™‚

Anonymous

Wow, definitely very impressive. Β Specialized has always been doing well with their 29er bikes. Hmmm…gotta demo it out and see how it compares with the others. A 29er All-Mountain? Wow!

Tien Vo
    Keymaster

There’s a lot of hype on the 27.5 and I’m more leading towards either an all mountain 26 or 27.5 than 29er. The 29er all mountain is going to be heavier and requires more moment to climb the technical trails. It’s an interesting article but will have to test out both bikes to see how they perform. For climbing performance, I’m still going with the Pivot :). I used to have the Enduro S-Works, very nice light weight bike and great for all mountain downhill with the dual-crown fork. I wish they bring the dual-crown fork back for the all-mountain.Β  As far as climbing performance, I will go with the Pivot Mach 5.7.

Vu
    Participant

Got the email πŸ™‚

26 and 29er’s both have their pros and cons. That’s the reason why there’s a hype for 27.5 hoping to get the best of both worlds. To me, 27.5 is a compromise between 26 and 29er. It’s really depend on what you really want for your next build. For me, I already have a 26er with 160mm rear and 180mm front travel. I also have a 29er SS with 100mm front travel. I want to replace my 26er 140mm front, 135mm rear travel trail bike, but I want the replacement to have better rollability, climbability, and generally comfortable for longer rides w/o sacrificing too much weight. At this point I’m puttting 29er as a front runner for my next upgrade, then 27.5 then 26. I’m still not convinced that 27.5 will have that much more rollability compares to 26. I also know that if I go with Tallboy LTc, I can build this FS 29er as light, if not lighter than my current 140mm trail bike. I just have to test ride both the 29er and 27.5er FS back-to-back to sort out what’s hype and what’s not.

Anonymous

I agreed. All have their cons and pros about how they perform on certain trails. I want to build a best XC bike for all types of trails andΒ a best all-mountain :).

Vu
    Participant

Well, then you need one of each. Better start a piggy bank πŸ™‚

Tom
    Participant

Tested the Bronson yesterday and I’m impressed. It definitely is #1 on the list for my next bike. Did you get to ride it Vu?

Tien Vo
    Keymaster

Never heard of the Bronson?

Tom
    Participant

Vu
    Participant

Yes, I test rode it. Too short of a ride for me to get a real assessment, and I thought it was ok. Climbing is no difference than my Nomad or Tallboy LT. For the DH, it wasn’t a fair comparison because the Tallboy LTa was a low-end model w/o a seat dropper. Dropping into the single track the Tallboy LT front end wasn’t tracking very well due to over inflated tires and I wasn’t comfortable having my weight behind a fully extended seatpost. In terms of fun factor (flick-ability), they both met and exceeded my expectation.
    Anyways, the bottom line is I would choose the Tallboy LTc for my situation. I want a bike that is comfortable for epic rides and rolls fast. Bronson felt like another 26er. If that’s the case, then I might as well go with Blur LTc and take advantage of the fun factor a 26er can offer.

Tien Vo
    Keymaster

Great more new toys to spend lol. I’m happy with mine for a while until more bike makers come out with the 27.5ers πŸ™‚

Tom
    Participant

looks like the first wave of 27.5 bikes are catered to the AM crowd. I can’t wait till the trail versions hit the store in the next 6-12 months.

Here are some interesting predictions from the manufactures: http://www.bicycling.com/mountainbikecom/bikes-gear/future-275-bike-designers-speak-out?page=0,0

Vu
    Participant

Why wait Tom? Get one of the Bronson badboys and call it a day πŸ™‚ I’m starting to shy away from 29er full suspension. Leaning toward 26/27.5 for trail bike now πŸ™‚

Tom
    Participant

I want to wait for trail version from Pivot and Santa Cruz. As much as I like the Bronson right now, I still think it is a tad too much bike for me.

Vu
    Participant

The Bronson should be good for you. You said it climbs well and the 150mm travel should be good for most stuff around here.

Kack
    Participant

I have a Pivot Mach 4 weighs 20.5 lbs and climbs very well πŸ™‚

Tom
    Participant

Tien is looking at getting a Mach 4. I like the Mach 5.7c and Mach 429c…..so if they make a 5.7 with 27.5 wheels i will be all over it. Until then, the Bronson is #1 on my list.

Kack
    Participant

Tom, you can get a Pivot 5.7 down to as low as 26 lbs depending on how $$$ you want to spend :). It will definitely cost you at least $7000.

Tom
    Participant

26 inch wheels makes me feel like i beat up some kid on the trail and stole his bike. I prefer larger wheels. lol

Tien Vo
    Keymaster

Kackorott has my dream build bike πŸ™‚ You should have seen what he’s got on his bike πŸ™‚ Tom, that’s cause you’re used to the feel of your 29er πŸ™‚ A lot of hypes with all these wheel wars. Know your riding style and pick the right bike for you.

Tom
    Participant

you probably right that i’m used to the larger wheels. As for dream builds….test riding the 7500.00 Mach 5.7c, 429c and the 10000.00 Bronson ruined me. Every bike i own will never be as nice lol

Tien, id dont have “riding style” yet….pretty good at pushing the bike though lol

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.